I left the yacht at a reasonable time - but it was pretty much from that point on - that it started to go wrong.   A leisurely trip ashore in the runabout with the 2hp on - found 2 men standing on the dock at the shipyard - and old Peter asking if it was possible for me to give a fellow a lift back out to his yacht.
Well of course I'm fairly easy going with this sort of thing - only because I always reckon - there'll come a time, when it's me looking for the lift - and besides it's sort of a rule among yachties to help each other out.
The only minor problem was that his yacht was the furthest out and well past mine - and as we all know, that little 2 hp might be able to tow yachts - but it likes to get along at about the speed of a slow walk across a meadow of long grass.   So by the time I eventually got back to shore - having stopped at my yacht on the way through, to say hello & goodbye to Penny again (which was doubly confusing for her) - and picking up a fuel container - the schedule (a very loose description) was already about a 1/2 hour behind.
Another 20 minutes spent sitting, discussing the 'barge launch' with Ed Lewis - disappeared off the timetable as well.    The car boiling over (again) by Liverpool was worth at least another 20 minutes time debit - and hey - the day's just about half gone.

But - we eventually got to St Marys - and for the rest of the day - visited - until I was all visited out and arrived at Dick's birthday party that evening, only 1 1/4 hours late.
We called and saw Uncle Maurice and Aunty Daph.
And daughter Donna was there from Orange - with her daughter Kristen.

A visit to see Chris and Evelyn was on the cards
and we sat on his verandah catching up.

Around the next block - another drop in - to see Doris
and our favourite Witches Ida & Deb.
Doris has just had a nice new patio built on - and we sat and had a lovely chat.
Deb took this photo of us - and I blame her for making me look like a fat dwarf.
Particularly when I did such a good job with her photo.
So the day was flying by - and I was fast running out of daylight
and still more places to go.
I raced out to Blackwell's where I built the yacht these last 15 years - to pick up a big anchor that I'd left behind - hoping it had been re-welded.   Alas - it wasn't - and the boys had been doing some final clearing up of the site where the yacht had been - and as night fell - I found them around an open fire - enjoying a beer.
And so after a few minutes of 'catching up' and the 'heart report' - we loaded the 3 pieces of the giant Danforth style anchor into the boot of the car - with a good piece of the stem sticking out the back with a red flag tied on - and I raced off to get to Uncle Dick's 80th Birthday Party.
The anchor was not welded - and yesterday morning I went ashore - when I finally dragged myself on deck - and have arranged for someone here to weld it up for me in the next few days.   Because I think I may need it soon, if I have to move off this mooring.
Also - I got to the party at 6.10pm - when it started at 5 - and Elsie (Dick's wife) was ringing me  - because she wanted me to make the speech to him (as per usual every 10 years) - despite the fact that I keep pleading like John Wayne in The Alamo, that 'my speechifyin days' are long past.
I've been reading for a few weeks now the 3 volume set I have of 'The War Speeches of Sir Winston Churchill' - and they are marvellous - so they're just lucky I didn't implore them to keep on fighting the Nazi menace - and hold strong and true in the face of the aerial bombings.
But it all went very well.
I called back later, at Chris' place at 930pm talked - and loaded up some large stainless railing on the roof racks - had a safe and easy drive home - and left it all with the car parked in the shipyard - and came to the dinghy and motored out to the yacht - all went quite OK - and I arrived back here on board to Penny's excited relief - at 11.45pm.
I checked the emails about midnight - to find one from the schoolmates Phil & Bill - saying they wouldn't be coming until NEXT Saturday now - so I eventually got into bed at about 1pm.
Which is the latest night I've had in about 6 months at least.
I'm going to stop now - and I'll write again soon.
('I was frightened on my own - sometimes I think I hear cats - and I'm scared
because they can do terrible things to you')

----- Original Message -----
From: Rodney Field
To: 1 Rodney Field
Sent: Monday, May 26, 2008 9:04 AM
Subject: Going Home - Visiting around St Marys

This original Email has been uploaded to our website and is located at:
 080525 Going Home - Visiting around St Marys - Newsletter
please pass the link on to your friends. 
All original graphics and photographs are the copyright property of Rodney Field 2008.   If you wish to use any of the material other than for personal communication with friends - please contact me at rodneyfield@thedogpaddler.com

Other Newsletter Emails are available to view at our website www.thedogpaddler.com
by clicking on the following link: