After what will be 3 1/2 months since the yacht was launched here - on the 22nd November - we are finally about to leave the dock - and head out for our first motor around the Bay.
As you know we've been quite happy to stay put - doing very little really - and enjoying the mere fact of being afloat - (after all these years of yachtbuilding and cutting) - and the pleasant dockside life.   The permanent power lead from the boatyard to the yacht - has been the biggest factor in remaining - and to be able to operate everything on board just as you do at home - has been the biggest reason we're still sitting here.
It is effectively just like being at a serviced marina - at no additional charge - for all this time - so naturally we've been in no hurry to go - until they said it was time.    There's no doubt we should have been doing a lot more welding, grinding, and boatbuilding - and whatever else - while we here - particularly I suppose - getting those plates all around the hull too - but it wasn't to be.
It really makes no difference to the job of putting on the plates - whether we are here - tied to the dock - or out on a mooring.   Provided the day is calm - it's still a matter of doing it all from the dinghy in the water - at the side of the yacht - positioning and bonding up - plates and bolts - and someone doing up nuts inside.   So - one way or another - it will be done -- here or there.

The reason we're moving out at around 7.30am on Saturday - has all to do with tides - the mooring being available to use for a while - and the yard wanting to bring other ships in here.
The high tide on Saturday morning - will peak at 8.30 am at 1.72m - which is still not the 1.8 - 2m - we would like to have - but is the highest for another 3 weeks.   That additional water should be enough to see our nearly 10' (3m) underwater draft - floating free of the muddy bottom right here - where you've seen us sitting at low tide.
But even if we are still dragging a foot or so of keel in the mud here - initially - we should still be able to get out OK.   Anyway - Cliff tells me that he will tow the yacht out - rather than try and turn it's 75' around by hand in this narrowest part of the channel, at the dock.
Once we are out - and in full floating depth - I intend to take the yacht for a good motoring run for several miles up Botany Bay and back - just to see that the engine and drive systems are all operating properly.    The yacht engine has never been run under full operating load for any period - in it's life with me - and has only ever had numerous test runs on land over the years - and here in the one spot.
While everything appears fine - and the yacht certainly moves forward and back - as the gearbox is engaged and the propellor turns.   We certainly need to see what happens - when motoring around under normal operating conditions.
And as I intend to frquently 'drop the mooring' and take the yacht for a run somewhere
for a dive - or a fish - or just a sightseeing trip with friends
then we certainly need to have the motor, 'fully operational'.

So - from Saturday morning on - THIS is where the yacht will be
So - if you're coming for a visit in future - you will need to let me know
then call me - so that I can come in and pick you up - in the runabout.

----- Original Message -----
From: Rodney Field
To: 1 Rodney Field
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2008 11:26 PM

This original Email has been uploaded to our website and is located at:
please pass the link on to your friends. 
All original graphics and photographs are the copyright property of Rodney Field 2008.   If you wish to use any of the material other than for personal communication with friends - please contact me at

Other Newsletter Emails are available to view at our website
by clicking on the folowing link: