From: "Rodney Field" <email@example.com>
To: "1 Rodney Field" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Subject: I'll give you one guess what's happened - no photos for a few days
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 21:51:11 +1100
There's a local computer shop who reckon that
this time the main CPU motherboard is overheating and had it (it's hardly
surprising from what I've asked this auction bought computer to do for the
last couple of years) - and a new motherboard costs $150 - which I suppose
is pretty reasonable if it gives it another life. So when I
get a chance I'll take it over to them - but in the meantime - all the photos
are on the hard drive on it - until I take some more new ones - and you
end up with emails on 2 computers - and it's not a simple matter to
re-consolidate the folders - or copy individual emails across later - so
I might just wait a couple of days before sending too much out.
I've spent the morning down in the bilge - under
the floor - trying to get the sump pump to pump out - I disassembled it
twice and it's working fine - I even switched over the lines to a new 240v
pump - but still no good - eventually - it seems now - like there is a blockage
at the outlet of the sump tank itself - perhaps some build up - because
when I checked the flow again later - there was nothing coming out..
But whatever - no matter which way you look at it - it's a filthy situation.
Although we're only talking GREY water from the laundry, showers, sinks
- it's still pretty unpleasant and you can't avoid getting it all over you.
These sorts of jobs are the less glamorous side
of yacht life - just wait until the day the toilet system blocks up - and
you'll be thankful there's a whole ocean to jump in afterwards to wash off.
All the thru hull fittings for drains - engine
water inlet/outlets - sump pump out - speedo/log - depthsounder transducer
- and the all important stern propellor tube seals - are all in perfect
sealed order and totally sound and leak free. The yacht is completely
dry inside - with not the slightest drip to be found anywhere - which is
just how you want it to be.
I have made slow but steady progress sealing
up and taping over - the cut join - so that the yacht is weatherproof and
splashproof - it has taken me about 3 days in the dinghy to do it all carefully
and thoroughly - and rain this morning prevented me from doing about the
last 20 feet. There is also a section where the yacht has been
leaning against the dock - with fenders and boards - that is presently inaccessible
- and I will do it as soon as we are away from the dock next week.
But having sealed it all up - the yacht should be fine - until the
job of putting on the hull plates permanently can be done. I
can only put on the hull plates if I have someone on the inside to do the
backing plates and nuts too - so we'll just have to see how that job pans
out over the weeks ahead.
But in the meantime the yacht should be quite
OK on the mooring - and even motoring about in calm waters should present
Tomorrow is Sunday - with the boatyard usually
locked up - but John will be bringing down the anchor chain in the morning
- and I hope to have him back right up to the dock end - so we can somehow
get the 131 metres onto the yacht. I'm thinking - to lead it
straight on to the bow rollers and just the let the deck winch haul it in
- like it's supposed to do from now on - so we'll see how we get on with
that when it comes.
And there's about 3 weeks of washing that needs
doing as well - so it looks like I'll be stringing some clotheslines the
length of the yacht too.
Anyway - I'll let you know how it all goes -
and hopefully in a couple of days the main computer will be up and running